Oct 22, 2011

Makmur....

I found this....






...and decided to make these...






Biskut Makmur is the all time favourite for a lot of people, especially during Hari Raya.  I never did really like this biscuit.  Maybe because of only one reason.....it's too crumbly!  Before even putting it in your mouth, there'll be a trail of powdery crumbs following you from the plate to your mouth!  And do not even think of opening your mouth while munching on them.  If you do open your mouth, you'll be just like a dragon.  But instead of breathing fire, you'd be spraying ashes of makmur

My late Nyai used to make lots of them and I think they should be nice as quite a lot of people ordered from her.  I liked the smell of the dough and the peanut filling while my Nyai was making them.  I can still remember that.  It was not until a few years back that I started to eat these biscuits and thought "Hmmmm...they are not that bad and messy after all".  Maybe I didn't know how 'to handle' them when I was young..hahaha..  But still I had no desire to try to make them myself eventhough most of the ones we bought were nowhere near 'nice'...  My husband bought a bottle of biskut makmur from Simpang Renggam about 2 months ago for us to try.  It was a small bottle. There may be about 30-40 pieces in it.  Lo and behold!  It was tasty and not too fragile when being handled!  It did not take us too long to finish up that bottle though.  Two weeks after that, when we went to Simpang Renggam to buy more of them, but there were no more to be found!  The shelves were empty!!  What a disappointment...sigh...

Yesterday, I decided to try make them myself after I found the 'penyepit'.  Found a recipe that looked ok enough for me to try.  Quite easy to make but I didn't really like the texture and taste.  The peanuts I bought was also not that tasty, I guess.  It had a funny smell....  Aaahhhhh...maybe it was just me who did not do justice to the recipe.  I spoke to my aunty last night and asked her if she can give me the original or actual recipe.  Will give this new recipe a go once my existing bottle of biskut makmur is finished!






2 comments:

  1. I love your analogy of the dragon! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi author....yes, this dragon originates from 'Makmur Land'...haha..

    ReplyDelete