Feb 21, 2012

Cowboy Cookies



The cookie jar at home is empty.  Nadyn  has been asking me to fill the jar up.  She actually asked me to make more Marmar cookies as she loves them, but I am too lazy to individually design the cookies.  They are yummy, pretty and time consuming too!  Other than Marmar cookies and Pineapple tarts, the rest of the cookies "move very slowly" in this house.  I do not really dare try anything new or be adventurous.  If it is nice, I'll be the one who has to finish it all up.  And if it is not so yummy, no tummy wants to have it, and after a while, down the chute it will go...sad...

Yeehaa...I was curious when I saw this Cowboy Cookies recipe.  It has all the basic ingredients required to make a chocolate chip cookie but this has sweetened coconut flakes in it.  I do not have that in store but there's dessicated coconut!  So, off I went on this 'wild wild west' adventure.








There's no looking back.  This cookie is delicious.  It is slightly soft in the middle and crispy on the edges...just the way I like it...  The taste would have been better if I had added the raisins.  But the girls do not like raisins in their cookies.  So, majority wins.  Next time I'll make a small batch all for myself with lots of raisins in it!!  Here's the recipe I got from Joy of Baking.com. 


Cowboy Cookies

80gm walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped (I used chopped almond)
226gm unsalted butter, room temperature
140gm dark brown sugar (I used granulated coconut sugar)
100gm white granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
260gm all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
195gm rolled oats
35gm sweetened flaked coconut (I used dessicated coconut)
90gm semi sweet chocolate chips
50gm raisins - I didn't add as the girls don't like it :(

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugars until creamy and smooth (about 2-3 minutes).  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in the vanilla extract.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and rolled oats.  Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat just until incorporated.  Stir in the nuts, coconut, chocolate chips and raisins.

Form dough into balls, using 1/4 cup (55gm) for each cookie (I scooped out 1 tblsp full of dough for each cookie).  With moistened hands, gently flatten each ball of dough into a 2cm thick cookie.  Bake the cookies for about 14-16 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 175C.  Rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking time.  The cookies are done when they are golden brown around the edges and just barely set in the centre.  Remove from oven and let cookies cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.


2 comments:

  1. Yeay to granulated coconut sugar! and the cookie looks yummy too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Coco ... ;) Hip hip hurray! Long live Coco Sugar!

    ReplyDelete