Nov 25, 2011

Comfort food..

Everyone has his or her own way of seeking solace.  Some jog, swim, read, sing, write, shop, go for a holiday, bake, eat, draw and talk to God.  Quite a lot of people nowadays use the term "retail therapy" and "comfort food".  As for me, my inclination is towards "comfort food".  I love food and I love eating.  Baking is therapeutic for me.  When I am in the right mood and when all the ingredients are readily available at home, I can think of so many things to make and bake.  I do not feel tired and can bake 2-3 items in a day.  But that does not happen much nowadays as my girls will always be there to "keep me occupied".  They need a lot of my attention.

Since it is the school holidays now, I make sure that the 'cookie jar' is always filled.  My girls will always be running in and out of the kitchen, munching on all these goodies.  I balance all these not so healthy things with fruits as snacks too.  Widya and Nadyn also love apples, pears, grapes, melons and bananas.  This means that the refrigerator will be filled with fruits too.

Chocolate Chip cookies is one of my favorite comfort foods...I have sooo many, I guess..!!!!  I used the recipe that my mum gave me.  It was way back in 1994 that she wrote me a letter and included the recipe in it.  I still have that letter. (We used to write to each other then as she and my dad were staying in Brunei and my brother and me were living and studying in Singapore).

Here's the recipe...

1 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
125gm butter
Just under 1 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate bits
1/2 cup of coarsely chopped nuts of your choice
1 tsp chocolate emulco/paste
1/2 cup of raisins (I added)

Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt together.  Put aside.
Cream butter, sugar, egg, choc emulco and vanilla until very smooth.
Add the sifted ingredients, nuts, choc bits and raisins.
Scoop into baking tray - about 1 tsp full.  If dough is too soft, keep in the refrigerator for a while.
Bake for about 12-15 mins in a 170-180C oven.


Here's the result....




While I was baking these cookies, Widya asked if she could have the Banana Cchocolate cake.  I have made this to so many times because it is so delicious and simple to make.  Thanks again to Ayu, as I got the recipe from her blog.  This is the first time I made them in paper cups.  I think it's easier to eat them this way and they look prettier too!  This time round, I also shaved the bar of chocolate and not roughly chopped them.  I like the results.






Happy munching everyone!



2 comments:

  1. Assalam dear,
    wah..banana chocolate cake ni memanglah sedapp..my mum just really love them..kalau buat kek pisang, mesti dia suruh buat yang ini..pernah i bawa pergi kenduri also orang2 pun suka & asked for the recipe..thanks nurwin, for baking over & over again..actually this recipe is Nor Terangganu's recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Ayu

    Thanks a lot to both you and Nor Terangganu for sharing this lovely recipe. We all love it and it is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete